Monday, October 15, 2007

Paris doing the "greater good"


The dominate impression of Paris Hilton is a crazy party girl. In my book, she is the queen of all superficials. It's no surprise why most people cannot possibly take her seriously when she announced to the Newsweek magazine that she is leaving her rich and fabulous party life for the 3rd world country in Africa to"bring attention" to the people. She'll be bring attention alright. Hilton also claimed that she will be attending a children's charity "Playing for Good" to a five days charity mission.
There will be cameras documenting her every move. Again, no surprise there.
Hilton told Newsweek that her 23-days jail time basically allowed herself to rejuvenated (if you will) from a partying blond to a Mother Teresa figure. She says, "There are a lot of bad people in L.A. Before, my life was about having fun, going to parties -- it was a fantasy...but when I had time to reflect, I felt empty inside. I want to leave a mark on the world."I have two remarks to make regarding her statement. First, I just want to clear the fact that there are not "a lot of bad people in L.A." I have lived in L.A for all my life (until now). I have to admit that it's much hectic than anywhere else, but there are many wonderful people who contribute to society everyday. I, personally, am very offended by her statement. She made it sounds as if L.A is full of criminals.
Secondly, reading from her word choice, I can tell that she is not welling to leave her fanatic partying days behind. Since it was a "fantasy" I'm pretty sure she will have some trouble adjusting her new African lifestyle. I hope she is aware that there are no air conditioned mall there. We all can picture just how Paris Hilton would react to living on a farm (thanks to The Simple Life. I understand that the show was exaggerated, but she did reflected all that snobby characteristics in those news headlines), but imaging her in Africa striving to find that mall would be sweeter.
I mentioned earlier in the entry that she will be recording her five days mission trip. I'm highly skeptical to her purpose of joining the mission. Don't get me wrong, I think the idea is absolutely wonderful. But when Hilton commented about documenting the trip, my brain automatically rejected this charity idea. "I love having everything documented. It shows people what everyday life is like for me, how hard I work. There are a lot of misconceptions about me," said Hilton. This made me laugh. We all know she doesn't do charity everyday, and this certainly isn't her everyday lifestyle. I appreciate the fact that she is trying to be a good American citizen, but she might just flattered herself a tad too much.
For all you Paris Hilton defenders out there, I know I might had given Hilton too little credits, but she had already gave the people a mind-set of who she really is. But still, with a positive attitude and an open mind, I'm looking forward to see what will become of her in the future.

No comments: