Saturday, November 3, 2007

The classic comedies

Comedy is different for everyone. I'm sure there's a common ground to comedy that we can all agree upon. But here's my personal take of today's comedy movies: I'm tired of these unoriginal 'humorous' films. For almost all the new movies out in theater these days, there are just no fresh humor. I find it hard to find a decent comedy film without feeling somewhat offended. I'm tired of the boring trashy jokes, idiotic stunts, and irrelevant random comments made by some crackhead. Movies such as Borat and Napoleon Dynamite are just the few absurd comedies out there. Sorry to offend the people who find those movies to be valuable, but they are just not worth of my time nor my $8.50. I remember sitting in the theater for Borat last summer. There was a group of guys sitting behind me and my friends who were just dying of laughter during the scene of the chicken chase. Yea it was funny for the first 10 second, but the scene lasted for more than a minute and the guys were deliriously entertained. Also during Napoleon Dynamite, I remember waking up in the middle of the movie with a neck cramp. If it wasn't for the uncomfortable seats and the loud speakers, I might be able to sleep through the whole film (but I was glad I was awake during the dance scene). And because of the unbearable movie, I now despise Jon Heder.Yesterday night my friend sent me clips from the 90's comedy films Naked Gun and Hot Shots 2. After watching the video clips on Youtube, I've regain what true comedy really is. The movies are old but they aren't old humored. Some of the jokes were repetitive due to the age of the films, but many of the jokes are still unoriginal. Unlike comedy films today, both of the old movies had achieved entertaining delights without profanity or extreme sexual insights. It's also unlike today's family films where the parent's attention spam always drift off in the middle of the movie due to the prosaic 'conflicts', classic comedies are authentic humors that are mostly appropriate for all ages.
So if you need entertaining movies, why not try browsing for the classic comedy films? They might look as if they need a cover upgrade, but the humors are just as fresh as before.

No comments: