Friday, November 9, 2007

Fat Suit: Day Two

It’s the second day on the street, third day for the experiment, for the Deal or No Deal model transformation. The ladies strap on their suits and try to hail a taxi. They show how easy it is for two New York models to hail a taxi before the transformation. The second time around they strap themselves in for quite a ride. After getting a cab to finally pull over the first words out of the driver’s mouth were, “I think you'll fit.” If I was one of these women I would have been insulted, which they were. I don’t care how much of a macho man you are that is just plain rude. Its not like they didn’t realize they were overweight, they are perfectly aware of what’s happening.

After their unforgettable taxi ride they tried to catch the attention of a guy from the first day, as themselves. They turned out completely unsuccessful though. They couldn’t believe that a man who was interested in a tall gorgeous model is no longer interested when she is 200 pounds heavier. Are they really that naïve?

The saddest part of the experiment is that they couldn’t reach their own feet. How embarrassing to go ice skating and not be able to tie your own laces! While it is funny to most people watching it is a fact of life for some.

3 comments:

Laster said...

I watched this on ET. I thought it was a very eye opening experience for people, but on the other hand I was sadly not surprised by the different reactions on day two. In fact I would have been surprised had the reactions not been different which is a harsh reality in our world today. I wish it wasn't that way, but it makes me more conscientious about how my words or actions might inadvertently hurt others self-esteem.

mymanmitch said...

I know this whole thing that I am about to write is going to sound completely insensitive and chauvinistic. So I apologize to whoever is offended by it. The fact remains, obesity is a disease. As such, people look at obese people differently. Don' get me wrong, I am not saying that 10 pounds should make a difference, even though it usually does. But 200 pounds is a lot. It is an unattractive physical attribute. I am not shallow, I think. But if a very large woman were to try to catch my attention, I don't think she would have as good luck as a model. I assume you are talking about for a date, not just to talk with. Personality and intelligence are important when entering a relationship with someone, but so is appearance. And don't act like it is just guys. Ladies do it too. If two guys are trying to get a woman, all other things being roughly equal, the cuter guy gets the girl. Thats just how things work. The bottom line is, no matter who you are, appearances matter. Though, "I think you'll fit" is taking it a bit too far.

bullseye said...

I agree with laster. I would be more surprised if the reactions didn't cahnge. I am sure this experience has had a huge (no pun intended) impact on both of these models lives.